DESCRIPTION

My name is Emily Lance and I am serving in the Texas, McAllen Mission. (June 2014-December 2015). My mom will be posting updates, letters, and pictures while I am on my mission.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

8-11-14 Second week in Corpus Christi

I've officially been in Texas 2 weeks! feels like I've been here my whole life. haha did I even have a past? I'm not too sure. 
So this week was relatively eventful. Last monday or Tuesday our AC went out. Newsflash. It's August and I'm in Texas. Let's just say that it was a character-building experience. haha. Monday night was miserable, Tuesday night we had exchanges so I wasn't there (I felt so bad for the sister who had to sleep in our apartment for a night), and then Wednesday and Thursday we got to sleep in a spare apartment in our complex until they finally fixed it Friday. Our apartment was probably like 90+ degrees and super humid. at night it was cooler outside. hahaha. oh man... good times... On the bright side, I now have a greater appreciation for functioning air conditioners! so that's good! 
So as I mentioned, we had exchanges this week. I went with a Sister who only has 3 weeks left in the mission field. She taught me a lot. It was awesome. She helped me a lot with things my companion can't explain to me because of our double-sided language barrier. Definitely a good thing. 
So right now we're teaching a man named Jeremiah. He's got a good heart, but I'm not sure he understands the importance of everything. We recently taught him about the word of wisdom (cause he smokes a lot) and he was all for it, and then every time we come back and visit he's smoking......... (awkward.) His memory is messed up from a past accident, so he tells us a different number of cigarettes he's smoked every time we ask.. so....... that's a tricky one. Hopefully we get through to him though cause he really is a good guy. 
We tried real hard to find new investigators this week. One day, we rode our bikes for probably six hours total. All I'm gonna say is that you know you've been working hard and it's hot outside when you have sweat marks on your skirt. hahaha. so gross. but it's worth it cause I'm trying to save souls over here. 
Yesterday I gave a 20-minute talk about the Sabbath Day. in the SPANISH BRANCH. that was wild. I felt bad for the members. hahahaa.

My companion and I are still trying to work out the whole communication thing. Patience is a virtue guys. haha. I love her, don't get me wrong. It's just a struggle to understand her most of the time. but it's cool cause we help each other with our second languages a lot. so that's handy. 
Anyway, I'll send some pictures next week once I have a camera. Love you all lots! 
Hermana Lance

Moses 6:34 <-- one of my new favorite scriptures.

                                  
                                               Our district at the CCM on the last day.


No comments:

Post a Comment