DESCRIPTION

My name is Emily Lance and I am serving in the Texas, McAllen Mission. (June 2014-December 2015). My mom will be posting updates, letters, and pictures while I am on my mission.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

July 17, 2014 Hermana Lance battles the mosquitos!



 Heyyyyyyy!

Can you believe I've basically been here a month? I can't. In 11 days I'll be in flipping Texas!! I'm so pumped and so scared but it's all good!

Glad you all had fun at the reunion! Ollie is the most darling thing on planet earth.

This last week FLEW by. Everyday is packed with studying, teaching, classes, occasional devotionals, etc. Therefore days are long but weeks are just plain speedsters. 

So there are a ton of mosquitoes here. But they usually don't bite anyone. Don't ask me why but I guess they don't like American blood. EXCEPT MINE APPARENTLY. BeforeSunday night, I had only had two bites. The first on my NOSE on like my second day here. The second was a crazy huge one on my arm. Sunday night, however, the stupid mosquitoes figured out how tasty I am. I woke up on Monday morning with 5 new bites. Three of which were on my FACE. ticked. Then on Tuesday morning I woke up with 8 new bites! Count them. that's 13 in two nights. Two more on my face, and a whole bunch on my arms. close to all of them swelled to gigantic proportions and made my companion worried. haha. But don't worry they're better now. Which is actually a bummer cause I can't take pictures here on any day but pday, but now they don't look as dramatic. Mosquitoes suck. (bahahah.)
^^when I woke up and had the bites on my face I said: It's a mosquito bite! In my best "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" impression. Nailed it. 

Anyways....

On Sunday Hermana Sorensen and I got to teach the lesson in district meeting. which is basically just sunday school. We found out we had the lesson Saturday night at dinner, so let's just say we didn't have time to prepare. (Not to mention we had talks to write in Spanish because in the MTC the speakers in sacrament meeting are eternally TBA if you know what I mean.) Well, it actually went pretty good. Our topic was the Ten Commandments so we basically just had a discussion about each commandment and their extended meanings and such. Good stuff. Those commandments have a lot of meat when you really think about it. 

Early this week, an elder in my district got a HUGE zit in his ear canal. and when I say huge, I mean he couldn't hear out of that ear because the zit was blocking basically the whole canal. (so sick and so awesome). He made me a deal that I could pop it on Friday if it didn't get better from the antibiotics the doc gave him. Unfortunately it drained in his sleep like the next day. Maybe next time I'll get lucky. ;)

Yesterday my district got to be "hosts" for the new missionaries arriving. Basically we welcomed them, told them where to go, and then took them and their luggage to their casas after they'd done all the registration stuff. We had to tell them a bunch of stuff and chat and give advice and encouragement and all that. It was exhausting (we did it for 4 1/2 hours) but way fun! we met some darling sisters and hopefully were able to comfort them and make them feel at home. Cause this place is a lot different than what most of us are used to but it is awesome! That was a great experience. I love not being a newbie anymore. unfortunately I'm about to get thrust down to the absolute bottom of the totem pole in 11 days, but that's fine cause I've gotta start somewhere, right?

Our investigators are good. We're to the point with both of them where we need to teach the commandments and we're pretty sure they both need a lesson (or two) on chastity.. that's gonna be a fun one in Spanish! hahaha oh well. bring it on. 

That's all I have time to write. I wish I could tell you everything. Things are great here. Spanish is progressing slowly. but hey, progress is progress! I love you all and pray for you all the time!! 
PEACE

Hermana Lance


 1-We took pictures with one of the worker's awesome tricycle things. Remind you of a certain movie I haven't actually seen?
 2-Crazy selfie with Hermana Myler.
 3-We are rebels and wear pants on pday. This is me sitting in a way you only can while wearing pants in the middle of a safety circle. (there are those circle things everywhere here. They're placing we would gather at in case of an emergency. basically they're just fun to take pics with.)
4-Choki selfie. These are how we live. We're addicted. They're like chips a'hoy on steroids. better chocolate. better cookie. heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment