DESCRIPTION

My name is Emily Lance and I am serving in the Texas, McAllen Mission. (June 2014-December 2015). My mom will be posting updates, letters, and pictures while I am on my mission.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

1-20-15 First week in Laredo!

HOLA! 

I LOVE LAREDO.

I could end my letter there, but I don't think mom would be very happy. haha. but seriously. I love it here!!!! 

I've eaten Mexican food at least once a day since i got here. and I'm not tired of it. not even close.

My area is called "Cielito Lindo" aka "pretty/cute little heaven." It's awesome. Super ghetto. literally right on the border. tons of spanish. it truly is heaven. :D For a long time South Laredo (there are two laredo zones) was only elders, but now there are two areas, as of 6 transfers ago. It's the best. There are a million huge hills that we have to bike up, but hey, the worth of a soul is great, right?

My new companion's name is Sister Dupape! She's super great. She's been out one less transfer than me and is 22. She's from Washington state and is pumped about the Seahawks and the super bowl. She went to BYU before the mish and GUESS WHAT. We definitely were in the same bio and organic chemistry class! I knew I recognized her from somewhere, and then as we got talking, things clicked. small world, right? 

So the most exciting thing that happened this week was.. that we had a BAPTISM!! WOO!!! A 40ish year old man named Leroy Moreno decided to take a leap of faith and be baptized. It was a serious miracle. At the beginning of the week, his baptismal date was February 8th, and he'd been to church 2 times and had some doubts. We had a sick lesson about how you don't have to know everything to be baptized and we told him he had to go to church 3 times to get baptized, and he said, well, I've been to church twice, right? and we said, yep! so if you come to church this Sunday, you can get baptized! and he said, alright, sounds good. (!!!) Only problem was that we still had to teach him all of the commandments and we knew he had some word of wisdom probs (like everyone.) Good thing God is a god of miracles, right? Friday night we taught him all of the commandments and he committed to live them all--all in 45 minutes. With an incredible member that had a personal experience for every commandment. So I guess you could say that was a huge thing!! it was amazing. 

We also had an investigator, Jair, come to church after we went to his house and banged on his door and window (simultaneously) to wake him up. hahaha. it was a great day. 

Miracles are happening here in Laredo. 

I also had my first raspa this week, which is similar to a snow cone but with more syrup and Mexican. 

We've also started doing cross-fit every morning as  a zone. at 5:45 in the morning. Insane? yes. can we walk? nope. But it's lots of fun! plus our president has been stressing being healthy, so we're taking that to heart. 

Also, this week we have an apostle coming to speak to the whole mission!!! Elder Oaks, to be precise. This Saturday we're going to the baptism of someone in our zone and then spending the rest of the day driving to McAllen, listening to the words of an apostle of God, and driving back. It's going to be amazing. I'm super stoked. 

Everyone the church is true! it changes lives. it is the most amazing thing on this planet. Cling to it. It will save you in every sense of the word. 

Well, Here's to another amazing week! I love you all! Here's my new address. feel free to write. :) 

3319 south Bartlett #4
Laredo, Texas 78046

Love,
Hermana Lance


                                     

                  Also just so you know. It's literally 85 degrees outside right now. That's all I have to say.


Leroy's baptism


And here's a cute pic of Sis Dupape and I eating gourmet raspas.


And also a really funny, candid selfie that we took. Sis. Dupape's ice cream fell and this was our reaction. hahahaha. This was not staged








No comments:

Post a Comment