DESCRIPTION

My name is Emily Lance and I am serving in the Texas, McAllen Mission. (June 2014-December 2015). My mom will be posting updates, letters, and pictures while I am on my mission.

Monday, November 9, 2015

11-9-15 I'm in McAllen!

Hey! Surprise!

Well, folks, turns out that instead of finishing my mission in Brownsville, I'll be finishing in McAllen! Transfers were pretty crazy. My new area is called La Vista, and they just switched which ward we go to. So, because of complicated circumstances, we get to white-wash the YSA branch! Which is quite the adventure! haha. Our area, for those who randomly know the area, stretches from west of Mission, all the way to Weslaco and Mercedes, TX. AKA our area is gigantic. It would probably take over an hour to drive from one side to the other. no joke. Let's just say our map is our best friend! :)

So my new companion is someone I already know and love, Sister Cannon! We were both trained by Sister Sarmiento Wolff, so in mission terms, we have the same mom and are sisters! cute, right? Anyways, she's great. She has 2 transfers less than me and she's from Salt Lake City. She's a delight and I'm glad she's my last comp :)

So this week was nuts cause we had transfers on Tuesday, then on Thursday we had MLC. I learned a TON at MLC. At one point, Presidente Maluenda talked for awhile about the importance of the priesthood. He said that when he was a Bishop, and when he was a stake pres, he would ask the priesthood leaders, when was the last time you gave a blessing? and when was the last time you received a blessing? Most would have to sit there and think for a while to remember the last time because it had been so long. Then Presidente said, "how can this church be strong if we don't use the priesthood?" Bam. That hit all of us pretty hard. one day God is going to ask what we did with that gift, and hopefully we don't give it back to him, unopened with the bow still pretty on top, cause that's not what it's for! So, priesthood holders, make sure you're using that amazing power you've been given! Bless bless bless. And women, we can influence them and help them use it and benefit as well. So don't let it go to waste, we need it too much.

Yesterday there was a super cool, southwest staes area conference, and we got to hear from Elder Robbins and Elder Oaks via broadcast. it was awesome! Elder robbins spoke on simplicity and invited everyone to read Elder Oaks' talk, "good, better, best" again and make necessary changes to simplify life. Contentment and simplicity are the secret to a happy life :) 

Well I love you all lots! Have a great week!

Hermana Lance

Also, I now live less than a mile away from the mission office, so any mail things can just go there. 200 W. La Vista Ave McAllen, TX 78501. (shameless hint: you all only have 5 weeks left to write me as a missionary. now or never! ;) )



PS my baby had a baby! I'm a grandma! #tender


2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your YA branch! Brother Merwin is a good friend of ours, so tell him hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your YA branch! Brother Merwin is a good friend of ours, so tell him hi!

    ReplyDelete